Posts for tag: Wrinkles
The telltale signs of aging skin—wrinkles, puffy eyes, age spots—may start to appear as we grow older. We can’t fight the aging process, but we can take steps now to help reduce and prevent wrinkles from appearing prematurely.
Many factors can contribute to the onset of wrinkles, which are frequently produced by years of unprotected sun exposure in combination with each person’s unique genetic predisposition. Wrinkles are a by-product of the aging process. As we age, our skin loses its elasticity, is less capable of retaining moisture and is slower to heal. All of these contribute to the development of wrinkles and sagging skin.
How Can I Slow the Progression of Wrinkles?
Daily skincare and proper sun protection are important factors in slowing the aging process, diminishing fine lines and minimizing wrinkles.
- Take your vitamins. Many vitamins are good for the skin. Vitamin C, a natural antioxidant found in citrus fruits and dark green leafy vegetables, can help reduce the appearance of sun damage.
- Apply sunscreen. Protecting yourself from sun exposure can help prevent the progression of fine lines. The American Academy of Dermatology recommends applying a sunscreen with a SPF of at least 30 to protect against harmful UV rays.
- Moisturize. Dry skin causes the skin to look dull and aged. To prevent dry skin, apply moisturizer every day.
- Get your beauty sleep. When your body doesn’t get enough sleep, it produces excess cortisol, a hormone that breaks down skin cells. Keep your skin looking and feeling young by getting at least seven hours of sleep every night.
- Avoid tanning beds. Tanning beds emit harmful UVA rays and are never 'safe' alternatives to the sun.
- Take care of your hands. Our hands are often the first part of our body to reveal signs of aging, as they are the most used and exposed parts of the body. Protect the hands by wearing gloves, moisturizing and applying sunscreen.
- Quit smoking. Smoking may damage more than your lungs—it causes skin aging and wrinkles around the mouth.
Like it or not, wrinkles are a natural part of aging. Even the most diligent skincare regimen or the most expensive wrinkle cream won’t totally eliminate your fine lines. You can significantly reduce the appearance of your wrinkles, however. Start taking care of your skin now, embrace your age and love the skin you’re in!
Forehead wrinkles. Crows feet. Frown lines. Dynamic wrinkles often develop from repetitive facial expression, causing these fine lines to appear visible even when the face is totally relaxed.
Wrinkles are a normal part of the aging process. The most common contributors to premature aging of the skin include genetics, spending too much time in the sun, smoking and poor diet. Avoiding or limiting these activities can help prevent and lessen the effects of wrinkles.
Not all wrinkles can be avoided, and when quick, dramatic results are desired, Botox® may be a viable solution for removing wrinkles on the face caused by daily muscle contraction of your natural facial expressions. Botox® works by temporarily blocking nerve impulses, which reduces the movement of those particular muscles. With less movement, the skin surface is gradually smoothed, the lines begin to fade, and your natural vibrant skin strengthens and returns.
During treatment, very low doses of Botox® are administered by way of small injections. FDA-approved, Botox® is a safe and minimally invasive treatment. It takes just a few minutes and can last about 3-4 months. The effects are not permanent and may need to be repeated as directed by your dermatologist.
If you are interested in learning more about Botox ® cosmetic treatments, contact our office and we will be happy to answer your questions. Younger looking skin is easily attainable with the help of your dermatologist!